“Livestock Development in the South of Armenia” project
“Livestock Development in the South of Armenia” Project is the logical continuation of SDC (Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation) funded “Livestock Development in the Syunik region” Project and it has been designed based on the previous phase results and achievements.
This phase of the Project is aimed at increasing economic opportunities and incomes of male and female farmers involved in animal husbandry in 100 rural settlements of Syunik and Vayots Dzor regions.
The project interventions aim:
(a) To improve access to milk and meat markets through the development of reliable market mechanisms through the establishment of reliable links between market participants;
(b) To improve access of male and female farmers to farm support services and inputs (veterinary services, artificial insemination and breed improvement, agricultural inputs and cervices supply) through limited investment investment initiatives, capacity building of suppliers, establishment of policy dialogue with relevant state institutions;
(c) To improve capacities of male and female farmers in terms of new approaches and techniques usage in farming, to improve capacities of meat and milk value chain participants to provide consultancy, as well as to carry out short-term activities to increase the productivity of farming households (training, exchange of experience, etc.).
(d) To strengthen capacities of local self-governance bodies to support rural economic development in the issues related to animal husbandry through the introduction of community pastures efficient use approach and techniques.
The results and achievements in creating a culture of sustainable pasture management in the project target communities are presented below.
- Due to close cooperation and capacity building with local self- government bodies, improved pasture management procedures have been introduced in 90 settlements of Syunik and Vayots Dzor regions of RA, sustainable pasture management plans have been developed, and pasture grazing schemes are being implemented;
- More than 200 pasture infrastructures were built or overhauled, making 70 400 hectares of pastures accessible to livestock farms.
- About 450 persons participated in thematic training on pasture monitoring, effective use, sustainable management practices, and experience exchange visits.
- Due to the implementation of surface improvement activities, the ecological and economic condition of more than 100 hectares of degraded pastures has improved, the productivity and quality of pasture vegetation has increased, these areas have become accessible to pasture users.
- About 590 hectares were sown with high value fodder crops alfa-alfa, sainfoin, barley and oats in the target regions, which has a positive impact on the solution of the problem of feeding during the nursery period, due to which the overgrazing in early spring and late autumn is reduced, the productivity of animals is increased.
Տվյալները թարմացվել են 2020թ.-ի օգոստոսի 1-ին:
September 2014 –August 2020
Geography: Syunik and Vayots Dzor regions of RA
Financed by: Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
Implemented by: “Strategic Development Agency” (SDA) NGO
Contact Person: Karina Harutyunyan
Address: Sergey Mergelyan St., #3/1
Tel.: +374 (010) 517 528